Thoughts around moving my baty.blog posts from Blot to Micro.blog have been pestering me for weeks. Photography-related posts will most likely remain at Copingmechanism.com.
Let’s think about it what I like about each service as a primary blog:
What I like about Blot
- Blot uses local Markdown files, manageable by Git.
- I can edit Blot posts locally using any text editor
- Blot has some nifty additions that assist with layout
- Posting images to Blot could not be easier
- New Blot posts and edits show up almost immediately
- Using Dropbox for sync and storage comes with built-in backups
- I prefer more of Blot’s built-in themes, although I’ve customized mine.
- It’s simple and quick to preview different themes
What I like about Micro.blog
- I spend time on Micro.blog daily, and the New Post button is right there
- I can also use MarsEdit for posting. I love MarsEdit and want to use it for longer posts.
- And for short posts, nothing beats Micro.blog
- Webmentions are built-in
- There’s an automatic Photos page provided with most templates
- I can more easily post both longer and “micro” (title-less) posts
- It means I don’t have 2 different places for posting stuff
OK, how about concerns?
- Both services manage rendering and hosting for me. If a service “goes away” I’m on SOL the hosting front, but both offer good ways of getting stuff out so I’m not worried about actually _losing_ anything.
- Content posted to Micro.blog feels “farther away”. This is mostly my imagination but it still itches. I don’t feel as able to manipulate things as directly as I can with Blot.
- I’ll need to relearn templating when using Micro.blog, but I’m already familiar with Hugo templates, so it shouldn’t be too big a stretch.
Lots to consider. The biggest win with Micro.blog is that I could stop supporting two separate systems and workflows. I was a little worried that micro posts might drown out the regular posts but since I do most of my nonsense-posting on the wiki this is less of a concern.
I’m typing this post in MarsEdit and posting to Micro.blog. This is the setup I’m leaning toward. Hello!